I work with a doctor who is proficient in the art of analogies. He can simplify complex treatments or procedures, by explaining them with an analogy. Here are a few…
1. Treatment is like turning an ocean liner. You can’t make sharp turns, you need to do it gradually.
2. There is risk in everything, but you have to evaluate the risk vs. the benefit. Every time you drive a car, you have the risk of getting in an accident. Does that mean you won’t ever leave your house? Of course not!
3. Tear film is like rain on a windshield. In a light drizzle, the wipers don’t work right, they stick and stutter; the windshield is smeared and blurry. But in a steady rain (lots of moisture) the wipers work well to clear the rain, and you can see more clearly.
4. The difference between Custom LASIK & Standard LASIK is like the difference between a well-tailored suit that is made precisely for you, and a suit right off the rack.
5. We select the right medicine for your needs, after all, you don’t need a bazooka to swat a mosquito!
His patients get it, because he engages them. They leave the office understanding their condition better, so they can make informed decisions.
When you are using social media, your information must be relatable. If you are bogged down in technical jargon, you won’t get your message read. You won’t be able to connect with your audience.
Knowing your audience is key to crafting your message. This same doctor is excellent at identifying items that will be relatable to each patient. He tailors his analogies to each situation. I’ve heard him find analogies that reference motorcycles, cooking, teaching, shopping, spaceships & raising dogs!
How does he do it? He finds inspiration in a patient’s profession or hobbies. Sometimes the clue is clearly written on the shirt they are wearing! Someone wearing a team jersey, will relate to a sports analogy. Someone who works for a supermarket, understands shopping. An engineer will relate to science and math analogies…it’s not a one-analogy- fits-all situation!
Being relatable helps to get your message across. Know your audience and speak in a way that connects with them both in person and online.
Need help getting your message across? Let us help you. We understand medical and we understand marketing.
After all, you wouldn’t hire a roofer to put in your plumbing!